CONDITIONAL SENTENCE

 

CONDITIONAL SENTENCE

A.   Definition

We use conditional sentences to say one thing depends on another. They can be used to talk about real or imaginary situations. One of the clauses starts with if (or a similar word) – this is the conditional clause. The other clause talks about the result of the conditional clause happening.

 

B.   Types of Conditional Sentences

1.    The First Conditional

Function:  It’s for talking about a situation in the future which the speaker thinks is quite possible. If the first condition happens, something will happen as a result. In this conditional sentence, the present tense after if refers to the future, not the present.

 

Don’t worry, it’s a lot easier than it sounds. Let’s look at some examples.

If you don’t tell me, I’ll just keep asking.
If I promise to travel less, will you forgive me?

 

It’s a first conditionalif + present simple, then will + infinitive.

 

you can change the order of the clauses round and we leave out the comma in the middle of the sentence if the order is changed round.

I’ll just keep asking if you don’t tell me.

 

Do this exercise

1.    If you go to school, you ... shoes and appropriate clothes.

2.    We will be happy if you ... to our wedding party.

3.    If you go to Ponorogo, ... Chicken Sate Pak Tukri and find a sensational taste.

4.    If you want to be success, why don't you ... hard.

5.    If you do the English test, the first thing to do is...the instruction comprehensively.

6.    If you want to be a medical doctor, you ...  prepare it from now on

7.    If you don't put some cherries on it,    your cake ... pale and dull

8.    If you really love me, please ... for me to finish my study first.

9.     If you visit this city, you ... the Space Needle and Pacific Science Center.

10.  Unless you have allergic to noises, make sure you ... time to spot these beloved icons.

11.  If you are at home, don't forget .... me your current location.

12. If you play the game, you ... difficult level.

13.  If your parents give you advise, you ...to it.

14.  If you go shopping in Kliwon Market, don't forget  ... Adrem and Kicak.

15.  If you watch youtube, ...useful channel.

16.  If you park your motorcycle, ....sure you lock it before leaving.

17. If you want to continue studying in university, you ...diligent to study.

18. If you don't like Grontol, why don't you....me.

19.  If life is short, why don't you .... your time wisely.

20.  If you have a problem, you should ....a solution immediately.

 

2.    The Second Conditional Sentence

The second conditional:  If + past simple, then would + infinitive.

 

Function: This is for talking about an unlikely or unreal condition.

If you travelled less because of me, I’d feel worse.
If I had the opportunity to visit places like that, I wouldn’t complain!

 

So, in the second example, Oliver doesn’t think he will have the opportunity to travel a lot. It’s possible but improbable. We use the past simple to show that it’s not likely, not to indicate past time.

You can use any other verbs, apart from would, in this kind of conditional.

we sometimes use other modal verbs like might or could in the result clause (not the if clause).

 

What about, 'If you mix blue and yellow, you get green'. Is that a conditional?

Yes. That’s a zero conditional. We often use them for facts, or in academic subjects.

When it rains a lot, the animals move to higher ground. (geography)

What about other words that can replace if, like unless and as long as?

 

Well, unless is a kind of negative version of if.

I’ll never go unless you take me. (= If you don’t take me, I’ll never go.)

As long as imposes a condition on someone. You’re telling them what you expect them to do.

You can borrow my surfboard as long as you get it back to me by five o’clock.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REPORT TEXT

TYPES OF TEXT