FUTURE TENSES



FUTURE TENSES

Read the following sentences and understand the meaning
1.         I will clean my house  tomorrow morning.
2.         She will pick me up at Selo Aji bus station.
3.        We will be back to Ponorogo after shopping in Tunjungan Plaza.
4.         They will visit SMAN 1 Sambit next week.
5.         Students will water the flowers.
6.         He will be writing a historical novel next month.
7.         Will they be watching the movie tomorrow night?
8.         We will have fnished our writing project task next Monday.
9.        Will she have finished her English course by the end of August?
10.    I will have studied economics in Gadjah Mada University next two months.

We normally use WILL to speak about the future. It is always combined with another verb.
Since WILL is classified as a modal verb (like can, would, could, should) it has the same characteristics:
  1. It does not change in the third person (i.e. he, she, it)
  2. It is always combined with another verb in the base form (i.e. without 'to')
  3. We don't use it with 'Do' in questions or negatives.
Examples of Will:
  • will go to the cinema tonight.
  • He will play tennis tomorrow.
  • She will be happy with her exam results.
  • They will take the bus to the South next week.
When to use WILL
We use WILL in the following circumstances:
1. For things that we decide to do now. (Rapid Decisions)
This is when you make a decision at that moment, in a spontaneous way.
  • I'll call a taxi for you.
  • I think we'll go right now. (I just decided this right now)
  • Which one? Um, I will have the chicken sandwich please.

2. When we think or believe something about the future. (Prediction)
This can be based on personal judgement or opinion.
  • The President will not be re-elected at the next election.
  • I think it will rain later so take an umbrella with you.
  • I think you will find the movie interesting.
Notice how you often use "I think..." before the subject + will.

3. To make an offer, a promise or a threat.
  • You look tired. I'll finish the dishes for you.
  • will do my best to help you.
  • If you say anything I will kill you!
  • will have it ready by tomorrow.
  • I'll drive you to work if you want.
  • Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. (won't = will not)

4. For a habit that is a predictable behaviour
  • My daughter will fall asleep as soon as she is put into bed.
  • He will give up if he starts losing. He always does that.

5. You use WON'T when someone refuses to do something.
  • I told him to clean his room but he won't do it.
  • She won't listen to anything I say.

Negative Sentences with WILL
In the negative, we add NOT to the end of WILL and not to the main verb. (= will not)
Examples:
  • will not be in the office tomorrow. (correct)
    will be not in the office tomorrow. (Incorrect)
  • They will not stay here. (correct)
    They will stay not here. (Incorrect)

Contractions
It is possible to use contractions in both positive and negative sentences.
With positive contractions WILL becomes 'LL and is joined to the subject:

26
Positive
Contraction
Negative
Contraction
I will
I'll
I will not
I won't
You will
you'll
You will not
you won't
He will
he'll
He will not
he won't
She will
she'll
She will not
she won't
It will
it'll
It will not
it won't
We will
we'll
We will not
we won't
You will
you'll
You will not
you won't
They will
they'll
They will not
they won't

With negative contractions, will not becomes won't:
To form a question using WILL, we reverse the order of the subject and WILL:
Affirmative
He
will
be
here tomorrow.

Subject
WILL
Verb

Question
Will
he
be
here tomorrow?

WILL
Subject
Verb


Examples:
Will they win the cup?
- Yes, they will.
- No, they won't.
Will you tell him the truth?
- Yes, I will.
- No, I won't.
Will she get angry?
- Yes, she will.
- No, she won't.

FUTURE CONTINUOUS

FORM

The future continuous is made up of two elements:
the simple future of the verb 'to be' + the present participle (base+ing)

Subject
simple future of the verb 'to be'
present participle
You
will be
watching
I
will be
staying
 
TO STAY, FUTURE CONTINUOUS
Affirmative
Negative
Interrogative
Negative Interrogative
I will be staying.
I won't be staying.
Will I be staying?
Won't I be staying?
You will be staying.
You won't be staying.
Will you be staying?
Won't you be staying?
He will be staying.
He won't be staying.
Will he be staying?
Won't he be staying?
She will be staying.
She won't be staying.
Will she be staying?
Won't she be staying?
It will be staying.
It won't be staying.
Will it be staying?
Won't it be staying?
We will be staying.
We won't be staying.
Will we be staying?
Won't we be staying?
They will be staying.
They won't be staying.
Will they be staying?
Won't they be staying?

 

FUNCTIONS

The future continuous refers to an unfinished action or event that will be in progress at a time later than now. The future continuous is used for quite a few different purposes.
 
1.    The future continuous can be used to project ourselves into the future.
  • This time next week I will be sun-bathing in Bali.
  • By Christmas I will be skiing like a pro.
  • Just think, next Monday you will be working in your new job.
2.    The future continuous can be used for predicting or guessing about future events.
  • He'll be coming to the meeting, I expect.
  • I guess you'll be feeling thirsty after working in the sun.
  • You'll be missing the sunshine once you're back in England
3.    In the interrogative form, the future continuous can be used to ask politely for information about the future.
  • Will you be bringing your friend to the pub tonight?
  • Will Jim be coming with us?
  • Will she be going to the party tonight?
  • Will I be sleeping in this room?
4.    The future continuous can be used to refer to continuous events that we expect to happen in the future.
  • I'll be seeing Jim at the conference next week.
  • When he is in Australia he will be staying with friends.
  • I'll be eating with Jane this evening so I can tell her.
5.    When combined with still, the future continuous refers to events that are already happening now and that we expect to continue some time into the future.
  • In an hour I'll still be ironing my clothes.
  • Tomorrow he'll still be suffering from his cold.
  • Next year will she still be wearing a size six?
  • Won't stock prices still be falling in the morning?
  • Unfortunately, sea levels will still be rising in 20 years.


FUTURE PERFECT

FORM

The future perfect is composed of two elements
the simple future of the verb "to have" (will have) + the past participle of the main verb
Subject
+ will have
+ past participle of the main verb
He
will have
finished.
I
will have
finished.
TO ARRIVE, FUTURE PERFECT TENSE
Affirmative
Negative
Interrogative
Negative Interrogative
I will have arrived
I won't have arrived
Will I have arrived?
Won't I have arrived?
You will have arrived
You won't have arrived
Will you have arrived?
Won't you have arrived?
He will have arrived
He won't have arrived
Will he have arrived?
Won't he have arrived?
We will have arrived
We won't have arrived
Will we have arrived?
Won't we have arrived?
They will have arrived
They won't have arrived
Will they have arrived?
Won't they have arrived?


The future perfect tense refers to a completed action in the future. When we use this tense we are projecting ourselves forward into the future and looking back at an action that will be completed some time later than now. It is most often used with a time expression.
  • I will have been here for six months on June 23rd.
  • By the time you read this I will have left.
  • You will have finished your report by this time next week.
  • Won't they have arrived by 5:00?
  • Will you have eaten when I pick you up?
 http://www.ef.com/english-resources/english-grammar/future-perfect/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CONDITIONAL SENTENCE

SONGS

REPORT TEXT